Monday, July 9, 2012

My Ugandan Experience

These past two and a half weeks at Action for Development (ACFODE) have opened my eyes to a world I never knew. I come from Indiana, a small state in the Midwest of America and have never been outside of my country's borders. From the moment my plane landed I realized that I need to be prepared for a culture shock from staying in a society very different from my own. I have seen both urban and rural areas of Uganda and tried my best to immerse myself in this culture. The motive of my trip here was to observe and learn about activism, of which I do not see much of in America. My experiences here at ACFODE have taught me many life lessons that I plan to take home with me.


Tiffany (in a dress), with another intern dancing to a Ugandan song at ACFODE House


I have learned patience. Coming from America, where we have a time is money mentality; I had a hard time adapting to the slower pace of Uganda. For instance at one of ACFODE's activities in Apac, we were scheduled to begin the workshops at nine in the morning, but most of the women did not arrive until after eleven. First things first: these women needed to first go garden and then take their produce to the market. Only after that was done could they think of doing anything else, such as coming to the workshop.



Honestly, at first, I was irritated. I can understand being a bit late, but a few hours?  Then I would take a step back and analyze the situation. I needed to stop being critical of this culture! There is something to be said about a society that is laid back (I never feel rushed for time here and have never been more relaxed in my life) yet still gets work done. So instead of getting annoyed I have learned to take a cup of tea, relax, and enjoy the moment.

I have also learned not to assume I know best. This is a culture that differs from my own and at times I do not know how to deal with that. I get frustrated when I see patriarchy and sexism embedded in the customs and traditions of Uganda, but I need to remember this is not my battle. I am here to help and to do that I need to ask the women in these situations how they feel.


The importance of working at a grassroots level is apparent in all that ACFODE does. They are concerned with training and educating as well as getting the opinions of women at the bottom. Testimonies are always welcome and ACFODE works on their behalf. Learning from this group, I recognize that I must first gather information from the people on the ground before I can attempt to assist these women. It is their lives, their reality, and I need to take a step back and realize this. I do not know everything and I am here to learn. If I only assume what people need I may end up doing more harm than good. Empowering women to be able to secure their own rights is the best solution. We need to talk and educate at the grassroots level in order to make a change in society.


I have received a warm welcome in this country as well as at ACFODE. Ugandans are friendlier than anyone I have ever met. The first time I was to go home by myself from the organization, everyone there was concerned for my wellbeing. They confirmed that I knew my way and then even insisted on me waiting so they could ride with me. Being an intern in a foreign country, I found this to be a heartwarming gesture. When I got lost in Kampala, after I returned from Apac, a girl was kind enough to help me get home. Seldom would this happen back in the States. There is a sense of community everywhere I go. In Apac, the all women in the workshops knew each other and could tell of their whereabouts. Whether I am taking public transport, walking, in a shop or market, people talk to me. In America, rarely do complete strangers ever communicate with one another, but here, it is expected. Before a transaction is made or even if someone is walking by, conversation is made. It is expected that I ask how they are and answer when they ask me. I will miss this feeling when I go home, but I know I will be a more open, and a genuinely nicer, person after my time spent here.


There is a dedication to education here that is inspiring. ACFODE spends most of its time and effort on educating the populace, whether it is women leaders, men or youth, about gender roles and how to make a difference in their community, especially with policy. In terms of the workshops in Apac, women leaders were taught about gender roles and the debate procedure to teach them how to express themselves. Knowing that we were giving women the prospect of empowering themselves, it was moving to see these women apply the idea of gender and gender roles to their own lives. We waited for more women to come because we wanted to train as many women as we could and for good reason: the women were eager to learn. They could have spent their time elsewhere (while they went to their gardens first, they did end up coming to the workshops). This tells me that society is not resistant to knowledge, they just need more opportunity. ACFODE gives them that option. I am honored to have had a chance to be a part of an organization such as this.


Tiffany Gavros

ACFODE Intern

B.A. Political Science and Women Studies student at Purdue University (USA)

Tgavros@purdue.edu

 

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment