Thursday, March 17, 2011

Long Live ACFODE: By Joy Ongom

Hello!
My name is Joy Ongom. I recently won the sit for Woman Member of Parliament - Lira district as an Independent. Previously, I had lost on the UPC ticket. This fostered me to stand as an independent candidate. I won my opponent with a difference of 16,800 votes. 47,000 votes were however considered valid.

I credit my victory to ACFODE - a women’s empowerment organization in Uganda which I first encountered in 2006 when I was beginning my career life as a politician. I was at the time contemplating to contest for Counselor - Lira Sub-county, but then I had very low self esteem. To address this, I attended a training organized by ACFDOE in Lira town; whose goal was to increase women’s effective involvement in politics and decision-making through building the leadership capacity of potential female leaders at all levels.

I was trained along with other aspiring women leaders from Gulu and Kitgum districts about effective campaign strategies. Betty Otengo, who was contesting for the seat of MP- Lira district at the time, was among the participants. She eventually won the seat after this training.

After joining the council, I was trained on how to lobby for women issues – still by ACFODE. Now that I have won the seat of Woman MP, I plan on putting my acquired skills to use.

ACFODE’s exposure has been very encouraging for me. I remember it vividly, that just the other day, I was being challenged by trainers from ACFODE to stand for bigger and better position and here am I today – a Member of Parliament.

I applaud ACFODE for the good work and I pray that she continues with such activities, geared towards empowering grass-root women socially, politically and economically.

Submitted By Sandra Nassali

Public Relations & Communications Officer

Action For Development

No comments:

Post a Comment